Visit to Lago Jalapa
If you like birding and you want to get off the beaten track we highly recommend a half day visit to Lago Jalapa, National Wildlife Refuge Tapiria, a community run conservation project offering a guided rainforest hike, a beautiful guided tour in canoe of the impressive lake, named after the Jalapa flower, abundant in the area and lunch back at their rancho. Proceeds go directly to the community association running the project and administering the reserve that has just been declared a national wildlife refuge Tapiria.
The Agro Eco Tourism Association Lago Jalapa is formed by seven families in the farming settlement of Rojomaca. It is located approximately 16 kilometers from Chilamate Rainforest Eco Retreat, 5 km from here to Puerto Viejo de Sarapiquí and then 11 km to Rojomaca. Behind the Banco Nacional in Puerto Viejo you follow 1.3 km on paved roads and then the rest of the route is a gravel road in decent condition. It is accesible for any type of vehicle.
In 2010 the Wildlife Refuge Tapiria was created in an area of 110 hectares of tropical rain forest with 7 ha. lake that , called Lago Jalapa, due to the plant which is common in the area and who’s ﬂower is called Jalapa. The creation of this new wildlife refuge has been a source of employment for the members of the community of Rojomaca, who in addition to continuing to work on their small parcels of land also dedicate and invest time in the care and conservation of the area and promote a sustainable development through tourism.
They offer guided hikes through the Refuge done by members of the community which include hiking and paddle boating around the Lake, and a yummy lunch prepared by the association using many fresh products from their farms including plantains, yuca, corn, rice and malanga.
- The Agro Eco Tourism Association Lago Jalapa is located 16km away from Chilamate Rainforest Eco Retreat.
- By car, from Chilamate Rainforest Eco Retreat, it takes 35 minutos to get to Lago Jalapa.
- A round trip taxi costs about $50 , it is very difficult to access Lago Jalapa by public bus.
- Lago Jalapa is an Association formed by campesino families from the farming settlement Rojomaca which Chilamate Rainforest eco Retreat motivates and supports because of their environmental and social work and similar conservation objectives.
- This is a half day trip (about 5 hours) with lunch included.
- The price is $50 per person. Group rates apply, please enquire at our reception.
- They sometimes also house students or volunteers at the farms of the Association members
- The tour is done in Spanish but a bilingual guide can be hired in advance for an additional price. Please inquire at our reception.